Postdoctoral Association at Western

International Scholars

As an international postdoctoral scholar, there are several programs and services available to you.

Student Development Centre (International and Exchange Student Centre) 

The Student Development Centre organizes several events for international students and postdoctoral scholars. For example:

The English Conversation Program provides an opportunity to non-native English speakers to enhance their spoken English skills and to increase their confidence in using conversational English.

The SDC offer 2 types of programs:

Both programs are conducted in an informal and friendly atmosphere. Our English Conversation Circles and Group Leaders are volunteers who have been carefully selected and trained to facilitate the Circle and Groups.

How do I register?

If you would like to participate in the English Conversation Program, come to SDC's International and Exchange Student Centre (on the 2nd floor of the International and Graduate Affairs Building). You will have to complete a registration form and make an appointment to attend a brief interview (not a test) with the Program Coordinator. Registrations are accepted in September for the Fall term, January for the Winter term, and in May for the Summer term. There is a $5 program registration fee each term(this fee is non-refundable). Sessions are held in different locations across campus.

The Teaching Support Centre

There are many programs open and available to postdoctoral scholars through the Teaching Support Centre.

International Programs

Preparation for University Teaching

Mentoring at Critical Stages and Transition Points

Career Development

Academic and Professional Communication

Information on filing my taxes as an international postdoctoral scholar?

As an international postdoc, you may also need to pay taxes in your home country.  Some of the considerations to keep in mind include:

As an international postdoc, you might consider this general information on income taxes along with dates for income tax information sessions.

Specific questions can be directed to:  

Fabiana Tepedino
IESC Programs Coordinator
International and Exchange Student Centre
The University of Western Ontario
2nd floor of the International and Graduate Affairs Building
Phone: 519-661-2111 ext. 80359

Community Legal Services 

As a postdoctoral scholar at Western, you have access to their many free services offered to Western postdoctoral scholars including help with immigration issues. 

For further information, please visit Western's Community Legal Services (CLS) or call 519-661-3352.

Immigration Options to obtain Permanent Residence

There are several options for international postdoctoral scholars to obtain permanent residence in Canada

For more information please visit Graduate Studies - Residency Reclassification.